Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gender Responses

Out of the three excerpts Mr. Kunkle gave to us to write about, I chose the first one, and I think it is very true. Young girls these days take everything media, or other people's opinions, into their minds. Teenage girls think that they have to be socially accepted, even if that means going to the extreme, and losing your self-esteem. By doing that, they lose themselves and have no true identity. I agree that in this day and age, you have to be true to yourself and be who you are, not what someone else wants you to be.

I personally don't try and take what media wants into my head. Well, I guess I do, what girl truly doesn't? But I don't take the ridiculous things, like losing weight. I do take things from media like fashion, but not to wear the things that the "cool people" are wearing to fit in, but to express myself.

I think growing up as a teenage girl is one of the hardest things you can go through, with friends pressuring you to do something, and you think if you don't you might lose a friend. So if you do what they want, do you really have a true friend? Who really knows. Being socially accepted is something everyone wants some point in their life. But to me, losing myself and my dreams, aren't worth that. I'm not changing for anybody. I live my life, and dream my dreams.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Very true. Everyone listens to that stuff, but when you think about it, it's almost impossible not to. I like the point you made about doing what you do to express yourself, not to fit it. Go you! =]