Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The "Not So Big" Wars in Life

A few years back, in my old house, my family had a few "bat wars" in our house. There was something with our chimney, or something wasn't insulated very well in out attic, so we had a couple situations that were not the greatest memories. Since we were talking about personal wars in class, and a few people brought up stories about birds, that sparked the not so fond memories i had with bats.
There was one time my mom and I were home alone, and we heard a little chirping noise coming from the stairs. We looked everywhere and didn't see anything, until my cat went to eat. She was playing with something behind her food bowl, and when we moved it, there was a little bat sitting there on the stairs. Since my dad wasn't home at the time, my mom and I screamed very loud and tried to calmly call my dad to see what to do with it. We got tennis rackets and buckets and tried to scoop it up to get it outside. It was a very scary situation.
Another time was the story I told in class. In the middle of the night, while my parents were sleeping, they heard little clicking noises on their hardwood floors in their bedroom. They woke up to find a bat walking on the floor on the side of their bed. Freaked out, they got out of bed and stayed in our guest bedroom for the rest of the night. For the next couple days they turned their bedroom upside down looking for this bat. They cleared out their closets, moved all the furniture and even turned their bed upside down to look in the board underneath it. They just could not find it. Another couple days later, I was sitting in my kitchen when my cat, the same one who found the first bat, walked into the room and chased the bat out. It flew so close to me, I jumped and ran up the stairs and shut the door as fast as I could. My parents took about 20 minutes chasing this bat around our kitchen trying to get it into a big enough bucket to get it out of the house, and once they did, i still didn't want to come downstairs.
As you can tell, I haven't had the best memories in my old house. To you it may not seem like that big of a war, but for me, it is one thing that scarred me probably for life. I can't stand bats, and I never want to see one in my house again.

2 comments:

Natalie H said...

Erin that sounds insane!
Bats really freak me out so I can't even imagine. Plus it's so weird you couldnt get them out right away. Well hopefully you won't have to experience something like that again!

Shauna Ohhh said...

Ohhhh my gosh!
We had a crack in one of our windows, and in the middle of the night a bat flew through it. My dad had to get up, find tennis raquets and hit this bat out of my house. It was incredibly scary!