Thursday, December 18, 2008

My MARTA Experience

Yesterday we wrote in our free write journals about an experience we had when we were made aware of our race or gender. I wrote about the time when I was on a mission trip in Atlanta, Georgia about four or five years ago. It was my family, and a couple other teenagers with us, riding on the MARTA to get to downtown Atlanta. I was only about 6th or 7th grade, and we came from the most German town there could ever be in Minnesota, so i didn't have too much experience with colored people. When we got on the marta i couldn't believe that we were mainly the only white people on the train. It was one of the most scary times on the whole trip, and i sat there the entire time right next to my dad.

This also relates to the story we just read called "Speaking in Tounges", when Tia was in Atlanta, taking the MARTA for her first time and not knowing where she was going, having to take five more train rides. By our trip, my dad had already been to Atlanta two times before, so he pretty much knew what he was doing with at the station, which helped us out a lot.

1 comment:

Alyssa O said...

that's cool you went on a mission trip...i went on one to new york last summer. Its really weird when you don't know what to expect and even weirder when you stand out in a crowd